ABOUT THE BOOK
This is an extremely important book published at this tragic moment when our country has been invaded. It builds a bridge of solidarity between the people of Ukraine and the working class around the world. The contributions make it easier to imagine a better future without imperialism and injustice.
Vitalii Dudin, President of Sotsialnyi Rukh/Social Movement.
Ukraine: Voices of Resistance and Solidarity is a contribution to understanding what Ukrainians think, feel and need. Their voices are a call for solidarity, peace and progress. Above all, it is about the Ukrainian people deciding their future and an end to Russian imperialism.
Mick Antoniw, Member of the Welsh Parliament.
- Introduction Mick Antoniw
- Ten Turning Points: A Brief History of Ukraine John-Paul Himka
- I’m a Ukrainian Socialist: Here’s Why I Resist the Russian Invasion Taras Bilous
- ‘Not Exactly Surprising, But Awe-inspiring’: Ukraine’s Resistance Interview with Yuliya Yurchenko
- Ten Terrible Leftist Arguments Against Ukrainian Resistance Oksana Dutchak
- ‘The Right to Resist’: A Feminist Manifesto
- Our Main Goal Now Is to Win This War Interview with Viktoriia Pihul
- Appeals from Ukrainian Trade Unions
- Unions Strive to Keep Ukraine’s Mines Running, Protect Civilians and Appeal for Solidarity Interview with Nataliya Levytska
- Ukraine’s Recovery Must Benefit the People: The West Has Other Ideas Vitalii Dudin
- Resistance and Reconstruction: Issues for the Post-war Recovery, A Parliamentary Briefing
- Why Should Ukraine’s Debt Be Cancelled? Interview with Eric Toussaint
- Reinventing Nazism for State Propaganda: How Morality is Being Replaced by Force Ilya Budraitskis
- I Marched against Putin’s War for the Same Reason I Protested the War in Iraq Niko Vorobyov
- A Left Divided: Anti-War, Anti-Imperialism and the Russian Invasion of Ukraine Gilbert Achcar
- Why Is Ukrainian Resistance Invisible to You? An Appeal to Supporters of the Stop the War Coalition Simon Pirani
- Ukraine and the Peace Movement Stephen R. Shalom and Dan La Botz
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS
Mick Antoniw is the Labour member of the Welsh Parliament for Pontypridd, a second generation Ukrainian and trade union lawyer.
John-Paul Himka John-Paul Himka is a professor emeritus of History at the University of Alberta, Canada. He has published extensively on the history of Ukrainian socialism.
Taras Bilous is a Ukrainian historian, an activist of Sotsialnyi Rukh/Social Movement, and editor of Spline/Commons (Journal of social critique).
Oksana Dutchak is co-editor of Spilne/Commons (Journal of social critique).
Yuliya Yurchenko is a member of Sotsialniy Rukh/Social Movement and the author of Ukraine and the Empire of Capital: from Marketisation to Armed Conflict (Pluto Press, 2017).
Viktoriia Pihul is a Ukrainian feminist, anti-capitalist, and a member of Sotsialnyi Rukh/Social Movement.
Nataliya Levytska is the Deputy Chairperson of the NGPU (Independent Mineworkers Union of Ukraine)
Eric Toussaint is the spokesperson of the CADTM International. His books include Debt System (Haymarket books, 2019), Bankocracy (Resistance Books, 2015).
Vitalii Dudin is President of Sotsialnyi Rukh/Social Movement. He researches the impact of neoliberal reforms and the social consequences of European integration.
Bohdan Ferens is a founder member of the Social Democratic Platform.
Ilya Budraitskis is a member of the Russian Socialist Movement. He is the author of of Dissidents among Dissidents: Ideology, Politics and the Left in Post-Soviet Russia (Verso, 2022).
Niko Vorobyov is a Russian-British freelance journalist and author of the book Dopeworld (Hodder & Stoughton, 2020).
Gilbert Achcar is a Lebanese socialist. His books include The Clash of Barbarisms: The Making of the New World Disorder (Routledge, 2006) and Morbid Symptoms: Relapse in the Arab Uprising (Saqi, 2016).
Simon Pirani was the editor of the British mineworkers’ union journal (1990–95) and his books include Change in Putin’s Russia: Power Money and People (Pluto Press, 2010).
Stephen R. Shalom and Dan La Botz are both socialists and editors of New Politics, an independent socialist forum for dialogue and debate on the left, based in the USA.